Friday, September 9, 2011

Didn't realize I would still be effected by those events

Almost ten years ago our country experienced a horrific tragedy. I was a Senior in a small town high school, and watched in shock as I saw the images unfold on the morning news. I knew then that our country as we knew it had forever changed. I just did not realize that only a few days shy of the ten year anniversary of 9/11 I would be sitting in my home with our toddler son asleep, pregnant with our second child, and my husband gone training for an upcoming deployment to Afghanistan.

A few months ago I was concerned because I knew my husband, K, would be leaving on a year long deployment to Afghanistan, and our son, KJ, and I would be home to fend for ourselves. I was most concerned about helping our young son remember his daddy during those long months. I have already gone through a deployment with K, so I know I have to stay busy to help the time go by. The problem is that during the last deployment I spent my time working two jobs, and hanging with friends till all hours of the night. I don't think I slept for more than 3 hours a night during that year. Well, we just found out a few weeks ago that we will be adding another member to our family! The bummer is that the new baby is due after K leaves for his deployment. Now instead of making sure one child remembers his daddy I have to make sure two of them do!

Many other military wives have faced this challenge as well. This war has been going on for awhile now. That means that many other women and men have had to face this and have come out the other side ok. I look to all of you for inspiration.

I decided to start typing tonight after watching 9/11 images on the television. I was sitting in our living room beginning to miss K. He has not been gone that long for training, only 3 weeks, but I am missing him so very much. I know we only have a few months together before he leaves to go over seas and most of that time he will be away. I can only hope that 2013 gets here quickly and that all the soldiers in our Unit come back.

No comments: